Pages

Thursday 29 April 2010

Meet the Supreme Products Team- Katy Carter


Katy Carter produces a wide range of ponies from lead rein’s to intermediates, with great success, from her Stoke-on-Trent yard. Her daughter Poppy is well known in the show ring and is busy following in Katy’s footsteps.

Q&A with Katy Carter:

Where are you based?

Wetley Rocks, Stoke on Trent in Staffordshire

What led you to showing and ultimately to be a professional producer?

I started out at the local riding club competing in gymkhanas and progressed from there. My sister, Joanne, and I branched out to small BSPS shows when we got a little older. Joanne was the braver rider but gave up at 16 to work in a bank, however she has remained in showing and is a well respected judge.

I had a successful career in the 80’s riding some lovely ponies including Groundhills Amazing Grace who I rode for Mr Champion the owner and producer Alan Bullock who was also a great horseman. Alan’s family were like my second family in 1987. I had some great successes that year, I won and went show pony champion at HOYS. It was my dream come true, a day I will never forget.

Tell us about your family:

My partner Jason is a farrier and I have three children Harry 10, Poppy 8, and Harvey 1.

What type of animals do you produce and show?

I produce show ponies, mountain and moorlands, show hunter ponies and intermediates.

What is your biggest and/or proudest achievement to date?

My proudest would have to be leading my daughter Poppy at HOYS in 2008 to take the Supreme Pony title, and again in 2009 to take the Dick Saunders Supreme at the Royal International.

Do you have any show ring superstitions or show ring rituals?

I do have a mouse tin that has a little plastic mouse and a piece of cheese in (not real!) I had it at HOYS in 1987 and in my pocket when I won at Olympia. Poppy had it in her pocket at HOYS and RIHS.

If you were not involved with horses, what would you like to be?

I love fashion so I think it would be fun to work in, also I would love to run a family restaurant, however Jason, laughs at this because I am a terrible cook. He would have to be the chef and I would be the waitress.

What tip could you give to newcomers to showing?

Watch, learn and be critical of yourself, have an open mind and never stop listening to what people say.

Laying the Coat Tip: An essential part of our show preparation is using the Supreme Products Body Wraps and Lycra Mix Hoods. I always have total confidence that the coats will be laid and conditioned, that plaits will be protected and that ponies are pristine when stabled or travelling to shows when I use these garments.

No comments :

Post a Comment