Pages

Thursday 15 April 2010

Interview with Supreme Products Sponsored Show Rider, Robert Walker


A well-established British expert in the field of top quality products for the show ring, Supreme Products are proud of their Yorkshire roots.

Keen to support talent in the area Supreme Products are delighted to sponsor show rider Robert Walker.

Born and bred in Yorkshire, Robert is now based in Cheshire, and is a very well respected figure within the sport and extremely proud of his Yorkshire heritage and is known for his down to earth attitude and Yorkshire charm.

How long have you been riding?

RW: I was brought up around horses and my earliest memories are of my dad Tony running a breaking yard in East Yorkshire. I can’t remember exactly when I started riding, I was too young!

What was your first pony called?

RW: Roly was my first real fun pony.

Did you show ponies as a child?

RW: Yes I used to attend the local gymkhanas around East Yorkshire and then progressed to my local county shows.

What made you settle on a career in showing horses?

RW: I have always enjoyed producing young horses and watching them develop and improve, it is the most satisfying part of the job. It seemed only natural to take up showing.

What type of horses do you have on your yard?

RW: We have Show Hunters, Show Cobs, Riding Horses and Hacks.

Tell us about any really memorable horses?

RW: You would expect my most memorable horse to be a show horse, but it is in fact Fury, my fantastic hunter.

An ex Grade A show jumper, as a youngster Fury competed internationally but luckily for me he jacked it.I took him hunting and it completely rejuvenated his passion for life. I have never had a better hunt horse and have some fantastic days out hunting on him. I retired him this season aged 16.

Which showing classes do you enjoy the most and why?

RW: That’s a really hard question. I love showing every horse in their appropriate class so I don’t have a particular favourite, but because of my hunting background I must say I thoroughly enjoy the Show Hunter classes.

What has been your best showing moment?

RW: Winning the Hunter Championship at the Great Yorkshire Show for the first time on Cool Green Star, a fantastic bay middleweight.

What has been your worst showing moment?

RW: When I was 17 years old I had a very good Small Hunter called Double Coin, we qualified for the Royal International and we were pulled in top of the line initially, and then moved down to third in the final line up. No one knew why, the horse went perfectly and there was no explanation for the final placing.

In hindsight this was one of the best days in my career, although I was disappointed at the time, so many people thought I should have won and after that show people started to send me horses to produce.

What do you look for in your horses when you buy them?

RW: It is important that when buying a horse you look at the overall package and suitability. I do insist that any horse I buy has exceptionally good limbs.

Which is your favourite show?

RW: Definitely the Great Yorkshire Show! The atmosphere is unlike any other and I feel it brings me back to my Yorkshire roots.

Is there a showing goal that you are still to achieve?

RW: I have won every championship around the country, bar the Hunter Championship at Horse of the Year Show.

What hobbies do you enjoy?

RW: Hunting it is my favourite past time. I am a joint master of the Cheshire Hunt. I think my love of hunting means that I thoroughly enjoy the show hunter classes and prefer an old fashioned stamp of hunter.

What is your favourite food?

RW: A traditional beef roast dinner with Yorkshire Puddings!

What is your favourite TV programme?

RW: When I have time to sit and watch TV, I like to watch Sky Sports News.

Which rider has inspired you?

RW: Jockey, Tony McCoy

Which top horse do you most admire?

RW: Miners Frolic. Not only does this horse have oodles of ability but he oozes pure quality.

Do you have any favourite show ring products?

RW: Supreme Products has an amazing range of products that really help my team achieve a superior look when in the show ring. One of my particular favourites is Supreme Leg and Body Whitener, a real ‘must have’ product when trying to keep those legs white and bright!

No comments :

Post a Comment